I'm feeling super accomplished today!
1. Made 'special' pancakes for the family as breakfast. Shall blog about it at a later date.
2. Washed my car like finally! It was 2 good hours of workout with my brother. Should thank Girl Guides for teaching me how to wash a car! haha! We used to do car-washing for fun raising! Really missed the time with my dear girls. :)
3. Baked after lunch! Like really bake! If you notice, I haven't been baking for quite some time. The things I made were all like steamed. Ya, so finally time to turn on the toaster. lol! Nope, still no oven. Mummy disapprove. :(
Black tea fruit cake
I have no idea till recently that fruit cake is eaten during Christmas besides the famous log cakes! I have no idea why. :/ Since I have a box of dried fruit in my fridge and found a good recipe, then lets bake fruit cake! :D
Recipe book: FOOD LOVERS: Cakes & Bakes
200g dried fruit
1cup black tea
60g raw brown sugar
pinch of salt
400g all-purpose flour
3tsp baking powder
Clear honey, to glaze
Method (prep and cook time: 2hours + 12hours soaking)
1. Put dried fruit in a bowl, add black tea and soak overnight. Dried well the next day.
2. Preheat oven to 180C. Line a 30cm loaf pan with baking parchment.
3. Put eggs, sugar and salt in a large bowl and beat together until foamy. Sift in the flour, baking powder and fold into the mixture. Fold in the drained fruit and spread the batter smoothly into the pan.
4. Bake in the oven for about 1hour. Cover with foil to prevent the top from burning and bake for a further 30minutes. Leave to rest in the pan before turning out onto a wire rack.
5. Brush with clear honey while still hot and leave to cool completely.
Serves about 12
The batter before baking
We are done! :)
Icing sugar to give some Christmas feeling~
I swear this is one of the best cake I've ever baked!!! You should try it too! Damn easy as you see I could even bake it with a toaster!
If you notice, this cake is totally oil-less and the amount of sugar to flour is like so little! Like a healthy cake eh? I was quite doubtful of the recipe at first. I mean like no oil? Won't the cake turn out to be too dry? :/
But look what we have here! I swear the cake is super moist! :D I not a professional baker so I don't know why it's so moist. haha! But oh well! It's really good! :D The sugar level was good too! I guess the dried fruit itself were sweet enough plus the additional honey glaze too!
Add 4 pieces with brother and mummy. They love it too!! Especially my brother! Such a happy day! haha! Reserving the rest for breakfast tml! :)
Love this guiltless cake and my new recipe book! (Y)
I'm submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #14: Creative Christmas Bakes (December 2011) hosted by Hankerie.