Grapefruit and chocolate cupcakes.
Baked these cupcakes for the ladies when I met them for Cedele. Since I'm working now and I really don't have the luxury of time, so when I saw this recipe, I thought it was petty simple!
However, the original recipe calls for orange while I only had grapefruit in my fridge. So I took the risk and modified the recipe by replacing the orange with grapefruit. Well they are both citrus fruits right? :P
100g unsalted butter
90g caster sugar
140g cake flour
1tsp baking powder
juice of 1 grapefruit
zest and purée of 1 grapefruit
2 tsp cocoa powder
1. Preheat oven to 180 C.
2. Line muffin tin with paper casing. Set aside.
3. Sift flour and baking powder together. Set aside
4. Beat butter, sugar and salt until light and creamy.
5. Slowly add egg and grapefruit zest + purée, beat till well combined.
6. Fold in flour and grapefruit juice alternately until well combined.
7. Scoop 3 tbsp of batter into a small bowl and mix in cocoa powder.
8. Pour cocoa batter into orange batter.
9. With a spatula to mix the two batters (stir once or twice will do).
10. Spoon batter into paper casing until 3/4 full.
11.Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 mins.
12.Remove cupcakes from tin and cool on a wire rack.
I actually baked these cupcakes the day before and was worried that they wouldn't be moist the next day. :( But thank god, the cupcakes were still really moist and I thought the flavour was even better the next day! I guess it takes time for the chocolate and grapefruit aromas to spread evenly.
So you must be curious about the taste? I would say it was a good marriage of sweet, sour and bitterness. :) I suggest that you do not reduce the sugar level any further as grapefruit is known for it's sourness and bitterness.
Have fun baking! ^^