I haven't baked any chiffon cakes after my recent addiction to cottony cakes. So after being tempted by all the chiffon cakes on Instagram, I finally decided to bake chiffon for a change. :D
The humble and old school, pandan chiffon cake.
3 egg yolks
pinch of salt
20g corn oil
60g coconut milk
70g cake flour
1/4 tsp pandan paste
3 egg whites
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Whisk egg yolks, salt and sugar first. Remove from the mixer (I used a hand whisk), add in corn oil, pandan paste and coconut milk. Stir well with a hand whisk before adding in the flour. Mix till smooth.
3. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar with an electric beater, adding sugar gradually.
4. Fold 1/3 of the egg white batter gently into the egg yolk batter until slightly incorporated, add another 1/3, fold and finally the remaining egg whites and fold till well incorporated.
5. Pour batter into your chiffon tube and bake for about 30 minutes
6. Invert and let the cake cool in the mould**
**Note: It is important to cool the cake completely before unmolding.
To be honest, chiffon cakes are soft and fluffy. That's the fact. But cottony cakes are even softer and lighter!! Do give cottony cakes a try if you have not! :')