Strawberry mousse cake for Daddy's birthday. :)
I promise you this cake is so so so easy to bake! Because I made so many mistakes in the process but the cake still turn out, presentable, I hope? :D
So here is the recipe:
ALEX GOH SPONGE CAKE RECIPE
Ingredients A5 egg yolks + 20g sugar + 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
Ingredients B5 egg whites
Ingredients C120g sugar
Ingredients D110 flour
Ingredients E60g corn oil
1. Using a cake-mixer, whip ingredients A (egg yolks, sugar and vanilla essence) until light and fluffy.
2. Using a cake-mixer, whip ingredients B (egg whites) until soft peak. Add in ingredients C (120g sugar) and continue whipping until stiff peak.
3. Mix the egg-white mixture with the egg-yolk mixture until well-blended. You should scoop 1/3 of the egg-white mixture into the egg-yolk mixture, mix it gently using a spatula, then pour the combined batter into the rest of the egg-white mixture and mix it well.
4. Using a spatula, fold in ingredients D (flour) , mix well until well-combined. Add in ingredients E (corn oil) and use a spatula to mix until well-incorporated.
5. Pour it into a greased and lined round mould (8 inch springform).
6. Bake at 180 degrees celsius for about 30 min. Remove the cake and quickly invert it on a cooling rack to let it cool. Then use a sharp serrate knife to loosen the sides and unmould the cake.
STRAWBERRY MOUSSE RECIPE
300ml whipping cream (whipped using cake-mixer)
280 to 300g fresh strawberry puree (blended in a food blender)
90g fine sugar
**4 tsp gelatine powder mixed with 70g water
1. If you buy 500g of strawberries, you should use 300g to be blended into puree and set aside 200g for decoration later.
2. Add strawberry puree and sugar into a saucepan and warm it over low heat to melt the sugar. Add in the gelatine solution and mix it well. Remove from heat and allow to cool before adding the whipped cream (otherwise the whipped cream will melt in the next step).
3. Fold in the whipped cream using a spatula and divide the strawberry mousse into 2 portions.
I whipped 400ml instead of 300ml because I knew I would definitely eat them while whipping! :P
**Note that according to the instructions of the gelatine powder, we should use 3 tsp of gelatine powder for every 500ml of liquid to be set.
HOW TO ASSEMBLE THE CAKE STEP BY STEP
1. First cut the sponge cake into 2 layers using a sharp serrated knife. Place the bottom layer of the sponge cake into a cake ring or the springform cake pan that you used to bake the cake (must be cleaned and greased with oil). Cut strawberries into halves and arrange them side by side around the sides of the cake pan.
wanted to take step-by-step picture, but I panicked after this step. LOL
2. Pour in the first 1/2 of the strawberry mousse and level the surface using a spatula. Make sure the sides of the cake are also filled with the mousse.
3. Place the top layer of the sponge cake on top of the mousse layer.
4. Pour in the second 1/2 of the strawberry mousse and again level the surface using a spatula.
5. Leave the finished cake in the fridge for about 3 to 4 hours to allow the mousse to set.
6. Once the mousse is set, remove from the fridge and use a sharp serrated knife to run through and loosen the sides of the cake pan, then slowly open the springform or the cake ring.
The interior. The sponge is in an awkward position. Oh wells, because I don't have a cake ring! Forgotten to buy! So this leave me no choice but to use the removable-base cake tin that I use to bake the sponge cake. Had to squeeze the sponge in because the design of the tin. :/ That explains why it's hard for me to remove too. I CAN'T LOOSEN THE SIDE OF THE TIN! Oh wells, lucky I didn't break the mousse. /phew.
Anyways, I was quite skeptical about the mousse. When I poured in the mousse it was so watery! I was like 'shit! it's never going to settle. :('
I like to play the same old game of pretending that I accidentally forgets the birthday and suddenly appears with the cake. LOL!
Love this photo! Everyone's like so happy! :)
My bare face and swollen body (water retention)
Finally have someone in the house to take family photos for us! LOL!
Anyways, today the helper asked 'Rong, why you so good can cook can bake and can do housework. I thought Singapore people all don't know why to do all these.' LOL! Sorry dear, no pay increment still. :P
Longevity noodles with egg is a tradition in the house for all birthdays. :)
I seriously highly recommend this recipes for all beginners. Easy,quick and pretty! :)
Anyways, I was telling daddy so many people wished him happy birthday this year! Thanks to all the lovely IG followers, all so kind! <3