I have been wanting to revisit marble cake ever since my previous not-so-successful-attempt.
Instead of swearing by my 'healthy' chiffon cake recipe, I have decided to be sinful a little and go for the traditional butter cake.
4 egg yolks
180g self-raising flour
2tbsp cocoa powder
4 egg whites
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
1. Preheat oven to 160C.
2. Beat butter and sugar before adding in the egg yolks and milk.
3. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar with an electric beater, adding sugar gradually.
4. Fold in the egg whites into (1) in two different batches and fold until well incorporated before folding in the flour.
5. Remove 1/3 of the batter into another bowl, add in cocoa powder and fold well.
6. Pour 1/2 of the original batter into a lined cake pan. Next pour in the cocoa batter. Finally pour in the remaining original batter.
7. Use a chopstick to create some random designs on the batter (basically just draw some circles) to create the marble effect
8. Bake in oven for 50 mins.
By the way 'Tuesdays with Morrie' is seriously a very good book! grab it if you haven't! :)