Brunch the other day for mummy and I. ^^
Decided to make it into a yam theme brunch because mummy and I LOVE yam. Heh. :D
Also, I've made the brunch into a 'healthier choice' one by replacing coconut milk with the organic cold pressed virgin coconut oil that I've received from Nakula!
How is coconut oil healthier than coconut milk?
Read on to find out! ^^
I think if you just do a simple Goggling, you'll be able to find out how big of a difference it is in terms of health effects between coconut milk and coconut oil.
One is like devil, the other is like angel? Coconut oil is the angel of course, in fact it is consider as the a superfood now!
Click here to find out more about nakula's coconut oil! :)
When I opened up the bottle, it smelled just like coconut milk, except lighter in aroma. With this coconut oil you can use it on almost everything! From daily cooking to baking, or as a dressing over salads and granola!
You are definitely more creative than me on this. :D
Ok, so the first recipe - Yam Chiffon.
Egg yolk mixture
6 egg yolks
150 g yam (steam and mash)
150 g milk
pinch of salt
60 ml Nakula coconut oil
50 g sugar
180 g cake flour, sifted
Egg white mixture
6 egg white
1/2 tsp Cream of Tartar
100 g sugar
1. Mix all the egg yolk mixture together till smooth.
2. In a separate bowl, use an electric mixer to beat egg white with cream of tartar. Gradually add in sugar in 3 batches and beat till stiff peak form.
3. Gently fold beaten egg white into egg yolk mixture.
4. Pour into a 23cm chiffon pan. Bake in a preheated oven at 170C for 45 minutes.
5. Remove from oven, invert onto a cooling rack and leave to cool completely before removing from pan.
Soft and fluffy. :D
Also, you can choose to add some purple colouring to make it look.. nicer?
But this is the true colour of a yam chiffon without any added colouring. :)
With the same cake batter, I made some waffles too! ^^
You can check out my other waffle recipe here which is just as good! :D
Yam paste or orh nee. I love this!! :D
Basically I steamed and mashed the yam before stir frying it with some coconut oil!
Mummy and I love this the best! Heh..
Oh yes, definitely not the authentic Teochew orh nee, but just as good in my opinion.
Healthier too! :D
1 whole Yam (~500g for mine)sugar (depending on you, I use brown sugar instead. ~1/4 cup) 1/2 cup coconut oil
1. Dice the yam into small slices and steam till soft (about 30 mins).
2. Place the steamed yam slices in a food processor while still hot and blend till smooth.
3. Heat up the coconut oil in a wok, add the yam paste and stir till the yam becomes thick and smooth. Add sugar to taste as you stir.
Because ice cream is too mainstream? How about orh nee with yam waffles? hehe.. :D
Will definitely make this orh nee again! This time round I need to add pumpkin too! ^^
Mummy and I had a great brunch together! She refused to let me post any of her photos though. Haha.
Anyway, where to get Nakula's coconut oil?
It can be found at all cold storage supermarket! :)
Follow @nakulasg on Instagram for more updates and informations on them! ^^