Donuts just got healthier with this version that the bro and I had made baked together! ^^
Again, if I don't say that these are air fried donuts, would you be able to tell? :D
Some of you may have questions regarding the differences between deep fried, air fried and baked donuts?
I'm not an expert, but here's are opinion. :)
Deep fried donuts - the usual donuts that you'll see in bakeries. Very yummy because deep fried and coated with lots of sugar. If made correctly, it's like a softer version of bread. Sinful treat that's hard to resist.
Baked donuts - Usually will require a donut pan to create that donut shape. But there are people who will replace with a muffin pan. Then again, is that donut anymore? Different batter compared to the deep fried donuts. Also, because it's baked, the taste is more towards cake texture. In other word, spongy. If you're into the more chewy taste of deep fried donuts, you'll be disappointed. Not that it's bad, just a different taste. :)
Air fried donuts - Same method as of making the deep fried donuts, just that no deep-frying, you use an air fryer instead. Healthier choice but has it's own down side as well. The donuts are soft, but not as soft as the ones deep fried. The longer you keep it, the harder it becomes. So best to finish them within a day or two. :)
Hope this helps to clarify a bit! Again, don't quote me. I may not be 100% right ya? :P
The first batch of air fried donuts we made. Find the recipe here!
After which, we craved again!
So goes another attempt of donut making~
Ingredients (makes 25 donuts):
4 cups plain flour
1 cup milk
2 tsp instant yeast
1/4 tsp Salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup sugar
50 g unsalted butter
1 egg yolk
1. Whisk eggs in a large bowl. Add milk, yeast, salt, vanilla extract and sugar. Continue whisking to mix.
2. Pour the melted butter into the bowl, stir until well mixed.
3. Add the flour gradually, mix well.
4. Knead the batter for 10 minutes or more on a floured surface until a smooth dough is formed.
5. Put the dough back into the bowl, cover the bowl with a damp cloth and let the dough rise for an hour or when double in size.
6. Punch out the air and roll out the dough with a rolling pin until an inch thick.
7. Cut the dough with a donut cutter.
8. Place the donuts onto a baking pan and allow to rest for 20 minutes. Apply egg wash on the surface of the donuts.
9. Preheat the air fryer to 180 degree Celsius, when the donuts are ready, arrange the donuts on the 'frying' basket and 'fry' for 5 minutes.
10. Remove the donuts and allow to cool before glazing and decorate! ^^
We did dark chocolate, greek yogurt and matcha glaze!^^
1. Dark chocolate is pretty straight forward, just melt the dark chocolates. Haha!
2. Greek yogurt glaze I use a 2:1 ratio for yogurt to powdered sugar :) Recipe found here.
3. Matcha glaze
Mix them together. If the glaze is not thick enough, add more powdered sugar until you get the right consistency. :)
Oh yes, we decorated with my homemade matcha granola! Recipe here. :)
Hope you'll enjoy this yummy treat as much as we do! ^^