So finally, after weeks and months of procrastination, I (the boy) have finally decided to step into the kitchen and put on the hat of a chef to whip up a simple Italian food, the Aglio e Olio. With some cooking experience (credits to my girl and mum) and the help of Mr. Google, the end product (above) was thankfully still decent enough to meet the high expectations of the Foodie-logist (her) in the house.
So guys out there, if you want to impress your girl with a Italian dish, the recipe below should be simple enough to get started. Happy cooking!
1 Dry Pasta
1 1/2 tbsp salt for water + 1/2 tsp for pasta
5 tbsp oil (choose Olive oil for a healthier choice)
6 large garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Boil a pot of water and add salt before putting the pasta in. Next, cook the pasta according to the instructions stated on the packet. (For Q-ness, remember to pick a few strips and taste it intermittently till it suits your taste. For better texture, once taken off stove, wash the pasta under running tap water) Set aside a portion of the pasta water for later use.
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a pan. Add the garlic and fry for a minute till it turns golden brown. (This time is crucial as I almost got it Chao Ta if you don't watch it carefully!)
- Add the red pepper flakes and cook for another 10-20 seconds.
- Add the pasta water from earlier to the garlic and oil and bring to a boil. (Need to watch carefully!)
- Lower the heat, add 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and simmer for about 5 minutes, until the liquid is reduced.
- Toss the cooked pasta with the garlic sauce.
- Take it off the heat, add the black pepper and toss very well.
- Allow the pasta to rest covered off the heat for 3-5 minutes for the flavour to sink in.
You can add in some cherry tomatoes as well and we garnished with some dill too!
The girl said this is one of her favourite Aglio olio to date. :D
I made Aglio olio for her and in return she cooked me my favourite salmon steak. I think the girl will be sharing this recipe as well? So stay tune if you're interested in this omega-3 enriched recipe!