I hope it's not too late to share the recipe for this cake, Matcha Goma (black sesame) Moussecake.
The cake that I've baked for my Dad during Father's Day! ^^
My dad is a huge fan of black sesame, hence the birth of this cake. :)
You know what's great about baking your own cake?
You can customise the cake to the receiver's liking! That's something you can't get easily from off-the-shelf-bakery. ^^
To be honest, I'm pretty surprised by how good the cake turned out to be! Definitely surpassed my expectation. Heh. :D
If you like, you can read more about the story behind this cake on my Dayre. Otherwise, just read on for the recipe! ^^
Thankful for Mr Tan for pounding the black sesames for me!
Tedious process but the result makes everything worthwhile. <3
2 cakes for 2 noblest fathers. <3
Matcha x Goma
ps: Is it me or it looks like I have a troop of ants invading my cakes? Hahahaha!
Matcha Goma Moussecake - look 1.
Not satisfied as it looked rather plain and boring..
Some strawberry to give some vibrant colour to the cake! :D
Goma sponge cake - ingredients:
1 1/4 cups plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp toasted black sesame seeds
4 tbsp pounded black sesame seeds
1 egg, room temperature
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
200g unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
pinch of salt
Method:1. Preheat oven to 170C. Line one 7-inch round baking pan with parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl, sieve the flour, baking powder and salt together. Set aside.
3. Combine toasted black sesame seeds, pounded black sesame seeds and eggs together. Stir to combine. Set aside.
4. Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until mixture is light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Then add sesame mixture (#3) in two additions, beat until combined.
4. Reduce speed to low, add dry ingredients (#2) in 3 additions, alternating with milk, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Beat till combined.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Smooth and gently tap the pan to remove any trapped air bubble. Bake the cake for 25 minutes in the preheated oven or when inserted into the cake, the skewer comes out clean. Remove and allow the cake to cool completely before slicing the cake into 2 equal pieces, horizontally.
White sesame mousse - ingredients:
2 tbsps toasted white sesame seeds
4 tbsps pounded white sesame seeds
300ml whipping cream
50g lukewarm water
30g icing sugar
1. Dissolve the gelatine in lukewarm water, let it stand to soften.
2. Whip the whipping cream with icing sugar till whipped form.
3. Add in dissolved gelatine, toasted and pounded white sesame seeds. Fold till well combined.
1. Place one of the black sesame cake onto an 8'' removable cake pan.
2. Add half the portion of white sesame mousse.
3. Repeat process 1 and 2
4. Keep in the fridge for at least 6 hours, preferably overnight.
5. The next day, decorate as desire (I decorated the side of the cake with toasted black sesame seeds and sprinkled sweetened matcha powder on top. )
A recipe to keep for sure. ^^
Let me know if you have tried any of my recipe. I'll be glad to know how you feel about them! :D