This was a total random bake I did in order to clear my stock of dried fruits, which came out to surprise me. The cake was so moist! :')
I modified my chiffon cake recipe to bake this and added a little twist by creating two flavours in this (coffee and vanilla), as I felt a plain vanilla cake is boring.
PS: The cake shrink a little after baking because of the low gluten content (low ratio of flour).
3 egg yolks
pinch of salt
1 tbsp corn oil
65g cake flour, sifted
2 tbsp coffee powder mixed with 1 tbsp of water
1 tsp vanilla extract
handful of dried fruits
3 egg whites
2 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1. Preheat oven to 170°C and line a baking pan.
2. Whisk egg yolks and salt first. Add in corn oil, vanilla extract and milk. Stir well with a hand whisk before adding in the flour. Mix till smooth.
3. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar with an electric beater, adding sugar gradually. Beat till soft peak is reached.
4. Fold 1/3 of the egg white batter gently into the egg yolk batter until slightly incorporated, add another 1/3, fold and finally the remaining egg whites and fold till well incorporated.
5. Stir in the dried fruits
6. Divide the mixture between 2 bowls. Stir coffee mixture into one of the bowls.
7. Pour the coffee batter into the lined pan first before pouring the vanilla batter on top.
8. Gently shake the batter a little to remove any air bubbles. Bake for 20 minutes or when the skewer comes out clean.
The cake was still really moist even when I had them the next day for breakfast. Most importantly, there were so minimum amount of oil and sugar used!!
Can you tell from the picture that it was really moist? :'D
Anyhow, I'm really a weird person. I don't take coffee as a beverage but I love all coffee infused products, especially coffee cakes!! Haha! Are you like me too? :P