On rare occassion, I've decided not to be lazy and bake a bread instead of cake. Also because I was really triggered by photos of how fluffy and soft bread baked using 'tangzhong' method produced. Hence, Lirong defected her lazy bones.
Ham and cheese bread.
Oh boy, I can never get enough of that kind of satisfaction you get when you see your 'masterpiece' fresh out the oven and looking so PERFECT (at least in my eyes). Again, I'm a proud mummy.
Top: before 2nd proofing
Bottom: after 2nd proofing
Tangzhong roux - 30 g bread flour
Bread roux - 125 ml fresh milk
120 g tangzhong roux
350 g bread flour
10 g milk powder
50 g sugar
6g instant yeast
1/4 tsp salt
30 g butter
8 pieces of thinly sliced hams
4 pieces of cheddar cheese
handful of grated parmesan and cheddar cheese
1. Mix the bread flour and water in a saucepan.
2. Heat the mixture on a medium low fire and mix vigorously.
3. Turn off the flame when the mixture has thickened.
4. Transfer tangzhong into another container and cover the surface with cling wrap. Let it cool completely.
1. Add all the wet ingredients into a mixing bowl, followed by the dry ingredients. Start the mixer at the lowest speed before turning to a higher one.
2. Add 30 g butter to the mixture when the dough is no longer sticky to the mixing bowl. Continue to mix for another 20 mins.
3. When the dough is ready you'll notice that it no longer sticks to the mixing bowl. Place the dough into another bowl and let it proof for an hour or when the dough has doubled in size.
4. Punch out the air and let the dough relax for 10 mins.
5. Divide the dough into 2 equal balls.
6. Roll out one of the dough into a rectugular shape and spread the half of the ham and cheese slices on it. Roll up like a swiss roll.
7. Repeat for the second dough.
8. Cut the rolled dough into equal pieces and arrange them onto a baking pan.
9. Cover the baking pan and proof for another 40 mins.
10. Pre-heat the oven to 180C.
11. Sprinkle the grated cheese on the bread and bake in pre-heated oven for 20 mins.
The reason why I love this recipe is that it saves my energy from kneading, all I need is to dump the ingredients into my mixer. Yay!
My babies fresh of the oven~ Use the reminding dough to create a heart-shape bread pizza for the boy. <3
My photo definitely does not do justice to these bread.
I'm now swearing to this bread recipe! The magic of tangzhong. Oh boy, why did I give you a try so late?! The bread was still so soft and fluffy on the second day! I had wanted to test it further for another day but my stomach does not approve. :P
In case you're wondering what do I mean by tangzhong. It is described as the “secret ingredient” originated from Japan, to make soft and fluffy bread. It’s actually a kind of water roux starter, cooked 1 part of bread flour in 5 parts of water to 65°C. At this temperature, the gluten in the flour and water mixture would absorb the moisture and become leavened. When tangzhong is added into other ingredients of the bread, the bread dough will be heightened and produces bread that is so so soft. <3
I hope this gives you a better and clearer idea of tangzhong bread, for sure there are many other methods of bread-making out there but currently this is my new favourite. :)