Ok, finally found the time to post the recipe for the cake that I baked for my dad's birthday! ^^
For birthdays, I usually customise and bake according to the birthday boy/girl's liking. So this cake is of course customised to all that my dad loves. Namely, black sesame and nuts.
In another word, healthy food.
ps: on first look, it resembles a strawberry shortcake? :P
2 1/2 cups plain flour, sifted
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon black sesame powder (+1 tbsp more if you want a stronger BS taste)
227 grams unsalted butter, softened
2 cups granulated/castor sugar
4 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup milk
Cream Cheese Frosting:
60g unsalted butter, room temperature
250g cream cheese, room temperature
2 cups icing sugar, sifted
assorted nuts (mine from BoxGreen!)
Roasted black sesame seeds and strawberry to decor
2. In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, black sesame powder and salt, set aside.
3. Use an electric mixer, cream the butter until smooth. Add the sugar gradually and beat till fluffy (about 3 minutes). Add in the eggs one at a time, beat well after each addition.
4. Add the dry ingredients into the batter in 3 parts, alternating with the milk. Mix well with each addition.
5. Divide batter into 2 baking tins. Bake each layer for about 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
6. Cool the cakes completely on a wire rack before icing.
Cream Cheese Frosting (prepare when the cakes are cooling):
1. In bowl of electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter until blended with no lumps.
2. Gradually add the sifted sugar and beat until fully incorporated and smooth.
1. Place one cake layer onto your serving plate. Spread with about 1/3 of the frosting and the mixed nuts.
2. Gently place the other cake onto the frosting and spread another 1/3 of the frosting over the top of the cake. Repeat until the last piece of black sesame cake.
3. Finally spread the remaining frosting all over the side of the cake. Decorate your cake with the roasted black sesame seeds and strawberries,
Not the prettiest cake that I've baked, but glad that daddy enjoyed the cake. ^^
Oh, why daddy likes black sesame so much?
Do you know that black sesame can help to reduce white hairs? This is the main reason why daddy is a huge fan of this seed! Heh.
The cross-section. :)
So embarrassing to post this at first because I really think that the cake is quite an ugly one. :/
But I really like the nutty flavour of this cake so I thought I'll share with all the black sesame fans out there~ ^^
On a side note, I'm addicted to cream cheese frosting! Love it so much that I refuse to move on to other types of frosting! Hahaha!